Individual Page


Family
Marriage: Children:
  1. John B. MAYNARD: Birth: 22 DEC 1893 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 22 OCT 1938 in Dalton, Whitfield Co., GA

  2. Samuel Horace MAYNARD: Birth: 04 JUL 1895 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 26 AUG 1970 in Erlanger Hospital, Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., TN

  3. Dennis Johnston MAYNARD: Birth: 16 MAY 1897 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 28 JUL 1953 in Baptist Hospital, Knoxville, Knox Co., TN

  4. Annie Sue MAYNARD: Birth: 13 AUG 1899 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 27 SEP 1981 in Dalton, Whitfield Co., GA

  5. Edna Virginia MAYNARD: Birth: 05 JAN 1905 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: AUG 1980 in Dalton, Whitfield Co., GA

  6. Robert Benjamin "R.B." "Bob" MAYNARD: Birth: 18 NOV 1906 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 23 MAR 1961 in Dalton, Whitfield Co., GA

  7. Agnes Teresa MAYNARD: Birth: 04 JUN 1913 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA. Death: 28 JUN 2002 in Dalton, Whitfield Co., GA


Sources
1. Page:   p 467
2. Title:   1910 US Census, Thirteenth Census of the United States 1920 US Census, Fourteenth Census of the United States Charles Yaeger Jr. Family Records 1880 US Census, (LDS Extraction) Tenth Census of the United States 1880 US Census, Tenth Census of the United States Descendants of William Locke Brown Whitfield County, Georgia Cemeteries 1900 US Census, Twelfth Census of the United States 1880 US Census, (LDS Extraction) Tenth Census of the United States Descendants of William Locke Brown Descendants of William Locke Brown Whitfield County, Georgia Cemeteries Whitfield County, Georgia Cemeteries 1900 US Census, Twelfth Census of the United States 1910 US Census, Thirteenth Census of the United States 1920 US Census, Fourteenth Census of the United States Descendants of William Locke Brown Whitfield County, Georgia Cemeteries 1900 US Census, Twelfth Census of the United States
Publication:   Date: 1999; Location: FamilySearch.org; Location: FamilySearch.org; undefined undefined undefined undefined Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; undefined undefined Location: FamilySearch.org; Location: FamilySearch.org; undefined undefined undefined undefined Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; Name: Wolfe Publishing; Location: Fernandina Beach, FL; Date: 1998; undefined undefined
Author:   LDS Church undefined Frenette Brown Whitfield-Murray Historical Society undefined LDS Church Frenette Brown Frenette Brown Whitfield-Murray Historical Society Whitfield-Murray Historical Society undefined undefined undefined Frenette Brown Whitfield-Murray Historical Society undefined
Address:   2444 Antler Trail Lewisville, TX 75067
Phone:   214-488-9621
Givenname:   Bob Maynard
Name:   Bob Maynard
RepositoryId:   R00005
3. Title:   Descendants of William Locke Brown
Author:   Frenette Brown

Notes
a. Note:   Article from �An Official History of Whitfield County Georgia� pages 219-220
Tilton Community
The town of Tilton developed when the W&A Railroad was built in the 1840�s. It was a stop for water and wood on the new railroad. Stores and other buildings began to be built around this area and soon developed into a small community. Handmade brick was made from the clay on the Treadwell place.
David Delk gave land for the depot, the public square east of the tracks, and for the Methodist Church. He sold other lots of land as the town began to grow and develop. Other family names included, King, Maynard, Brown, Martin, and Cox. John Howard was the first post master.
Joseph John Martin was a gunsmith in Marthasville, (Atlanta) in a business he learned from his father. Before the Civil War he moved to Tilton and set up shop there. During the war, the older men made swords and sabers for the Confederacy. Then the �Texas� was racing after the �General,� they passed through Tilton and stopped north of town to take on wood for fuel. This was an important place on the railroad during the war and a blockhouse was built there to guard the railroad.
Incorporated in 1871, the town consisted of several stores, a railroad station and express, post office, a school, a blacksmith and saloon. The first town council was composed of J. J. Martin, Dr. B. F. Chapman, H. H. Green, W. L. Brown, A. Hall, and J. M. DeFoor. W. B. Calahan was the first town marshal.
A �Dropsy Remedy� was first produced here by Dr. H. H. Green who later moved to Atlanta. He became quite famous with the use of advertising to peddle his remedy. He sent circulars on the mail train by dumping them on the floor of the car from a cotton basket.
When a large steam sawmill was built on the bank of the river at Tilton, the virgin hardwoods were felled and floated down the river to the sawmill. When the boiler exploded killing several men, the mill was closed. But demand for timber reopened the mill a little later. The owner was Wiley J. Ault. He was drowned while moving logs to the mill in the river.
By 1890, the town included three churches and a good school house. There was a livery stable, hotel, cotton gin and more stores. Several large homes had been built and most citizens were farmers.
In 1886, there was a great flood, which covered the whole area, with as much as four feet over the railroad tracks. A merchant trying to save his goods had a quantity of salt in big cloth bags. He piled them on the floor, one upon the other, knowing the bottom sack might get wet but thinking the others would stay dry. When the flood receded, he found only a stack of wet sacks as the water had dissolved the salt as each bag sank lower into the water. Much damage was done by the high water.
Among the early houses built in the area were those of Capt. W. L. Brown, Thomas H. Jefferies, Dr. J. N. Smith, Wm. R. Greer, John B. Brown, W. H. Martin, and Green Treadwell.
Other houses of later date were john H. Gentle and James Collum.
Smith Treadwell deeded land to the Baptist Church and the Master and Wardens of Tilton Lodge No. 291 of F&AM Masons. The church was built with the lodge hall on the second floor. There was also a Methodist Church and Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
For fun and recreation, there were picnics, boating, school plays and parties. The Maynards had the wonderful Sicilian, the forerunner of the player piano, which hammered out cheerful tunes and classical music on the pianoforte. Local contest in debating and declaiming by members of the literary society were a part of the cultural life.
In 1895, the school teacher suspended classes for the children to go to the railroad track and see the Liberty Bell. It was on a flatcar in a frame and was on its way to the Industrial and Cotton Exposition to be held in Atlanta. The attendant told the story of the bell and why it was away from Independence Hall. This was its last trip to a distant city.
In 1899, a message was received by telegraph that on a certain date the northbound �midnight� passenger train would have electric headlights. A crowd stayed up to see this. The light shone far ahead and lighted up the trees and outlined objects within its range like a picture on a screen.
The town continued until just after 1900 when the Dixie Highway was built to Atlanta and bypassed the little town. It continued as a flag stop on the railroad. Carder�s Store was the remaining guidepost to the little community along with its churches in later years. Roy Carder�s store in Tilton was well-known to the community and used as a voting place for many years. It was closed after Mr. Carder�s death in 1986.
Obituary for Susan Moss Brown Maynard - Chattanooga Times, 2 Dec 1958, Page 11
Source: Original Obituary on file
MAYNARD - Mrs. Mossie Brown, age 83, died at her home at Tilton Sunday night at 7:30. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Sue Yaeger and Mrs. Agnes Calhoun, both of Tilton; Mrs. Herschel Mitchell, Dalton, Ga.; two sons, Sam Maynard, Chatsworth, Ga.; Bob Maynard, Dalton and eight grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 from the Tilton Methodist Church with the Rev. Royce Linton officiating. Interment will be in West Hill Cemetery in Dalton. Love Funeral Home, Dalton in charge. The body will remain at the funeral home until 1 p.m. Tuesday when it will be taken to the church to lie in state until the funeral hour. The family will receive friends at the funeral home.



RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.