Note: George Bartlett is my 9th Great Grandfather two ways
Date of death has been listed as August 2 and August 3, 1669.
From "Guilford Founders Family Tree 1639-1989" (350th Anniversary Edition)
George Bartlett, Planter George Bartlett, known in many accounts as Deacon Bartlett, was one of the first settlers. Although he was not a signer of the Plantation Covenant, he may have been a bachelor too young to do so at the time, as he did not marry until eleven years after the founding of the settlement. In 1650, he married Mary Cruttenden. They had seven children: Elizabeth, Mary, John, Hannah, Deborah, Daniel and Abraham. His home lot was on the southwest corner of the green, on the site presently occupied by Douden's Drug Store and Scuttlebutt. Mr. Bartlett was listed as a "freeman" in 1650, and was said to have been a man of some education. He was frequently called to testify in Guilford court. The offices he held included overseer of highways, townsman, Secretary of the Plantation, and one of the first two deacons of the Guilford Church. He also served as a representative from Guilford to the General Assembly of Connecticut. He died in 1669.
Connecticut Nutmegger, volume 21, page 215: Nomenclature of CT Families
Bartlett: This name is from the Norman, meaning little Bartholomew.
Hide, blushing glory, hide Pultova's day.
Bartlett, *GEORGE, Guilford 1641, of Branford 1649, m. 14 Sept. 1650, Mary, d. of Abraham Cruttenden, had Eliz. b. Mar. 1652; Mary, 1 Feb. 1654; John, 9 Nov. 1656, wh. d. under 3 yrs.; Hannah, 5 Nov. 1658; Daniel, 14 Dec. 1665; Abraham, 19 Feb. 1667; and Deborah, 1668. He was lieut. rep. 1665, [p.131] deac. and d. 3 Aug. 1669; and his wid. d. next mo. Eliz. m. 29 Aug. 1677, Abraham Fowler; Mary m. 10 July 1673, Nathaniel Stone; and Deborah m. 16 Mar. 1687, John Spinning.
"History of Guilford", by Ralph Smith, 1877
Page 13: George Bartlett admitted as freeman May 22, 1648
Page 25: Died August 2, 1669
Page 105: George Bartlett was Deacon in the First Church: Time of Election: Probably June, 1665 until his death August 3, 1669.
Page 153-7: In 1663, summer of 1664, and first session in 1665; George Bartlett was appointed Deputy of the court with regards to " The Articles of Confederation for the Jurisdiction of New Haven" (the "Fundamental Agreement"), which was adopted at the first oganization of the government for the whole jurisdiction,October 27, 1643, until the union with Connecticut colony in 1664, and two years later until the organization of the judiciary in1666, when the county court of New Haven county was organized and commenced its first session at New Haven, June 13, 1666.
Page 182: George Bartlett was Town Clerk from 1662 to 1665.
"A History of the Plantation of Menunkatuck", by Bernard Christian Steiner, 1897
Page 46: Indicates George Bartlett was chosen on June 9th, 1651 "to succeed brother Jones (Thomas, sixth signer of covenant) in the marshals place"
Page 55: Lists George Bartlett as an early planter with his house located near the Park Hotel, at the southwest corner of the Green.
Page 61: Page 61: General Court held February 20, 1649(50) regarding Mr. Whitfield leaving Guilford, and each man's ability to pay for a minister: "George Bartlett hoped he should be able to continue ye some at present laid upon him."
Page 78-79: On April 4, 1664, the General Court of New Haven "ordered that, for the more comfortable carrying on of the affayres att Guilforde, till they have a magistrate their, the free burgesses may chuse among themselves fower Deputies and forme a Courte." George Bartlett was appointed deputy in 1664 and 1665.
Page 124: List of early settlers, George Bartlett made freeman May 22, 1648.
Page 126: George Bartlett was one of the first settlers, a man of some education, served as town clerk, and as one fo the first deacons, was lieutenant of the trailband, and died August 2, 1669.
Page 128: George Bartlett on list of freemen in 1650.
Page 141: Shortly before Guilford's union with Connecticut, on June 23, 1665, George Bartlett was chosen as part of a commission to "auditate the books of account belonging to the Towne, both Towne and Ministers Booke of accounts & the account of the mill, and to settell and determine wt is wright in all the particular disbursements and payments that are not as yet settled."
Page 216: Page 216: The earliest roads crossed the streams by fords or by boats, but soon bridges were needed and were made. The earliest one mentioned is the present Jone's bridge and, that, as "a foot bridge, was apointed to be made over the West River over against Mr. Disborow's lane ends," on the 11th of February 1646-7. A short time later, on Jan. 17, 1648-9, a cart bridge was decided upon over East River "upon advice fro the planters, who did advise & judge ye thing needful". A rude foot bridge had preceded it; for we read that the cart-bridge was to be "at the place the two tres now lye over," and it was to be made "wth trees hewed long enough to reach over thwart the river twelve foot wide with a bearer in the middle." It was to be "substantial" "with a double rail on each side" and to be furnished by October 14th. George Bartlett and John Hoadley, were to build it and to receive just wages " 3 pounds in English commodities, the rest of the country pay or worke, as they shall desire to employ about the business." A bonus of 1 pound 2 shillings was offered if carts can go over the bridge by harvest time. This sum was raised by subscription: Mr. Disbrow, giving 7 shillings, Mr. Kitchell 2s.6d., Mr. Chittenden and Mr. Thomas Jordan the same, Richard Bristow one day's work, and John Johnson 5s. From a vote on June 15, we learn that "on topp" of the trees was to be laid either brush or split timber; but there is no record as to when the bridge was finished, so that planters having estates in East Guilford could pass over, or as to whether the bonus was earned.
Page 238: Tame animals gave the Guilford planters much more trouble than the wild ones, and page after page of the records is covered with enactments in regard to the former. In the minutes of the first recorded town meeting August 14, 1645, time was appointed to be set for "pound" making. Goodm: Benton, George Bartlett, Will: Love, and Francis Austin were appointed for this service, and the task was to be finished by the end of October.
Page 240: To keep the young cattle from the "herd's walk" at East River, the planters voted on January 20, 1647-8, to build a fence two miles long, as John Mepham, Thomas Jones and George Bartlett should decide.
Page 419: In 1654 an expedition against the Dutch was proposed by the United Colonies. 133 men was New Haven's proportion, of which Guilford was to furnish 17 and Sergt. George Bartlett was to command them.(Guilford also supplied one cannon)
Page 420: July 6, 1665, George Bartlett was elected Lieutenant of the Guard.
Page 511-512: George Bartlett was Deputy to the General Court from Guilford in 1662 (as alternate), in 1663, summer session 1664, first session 1665.
New England Historical and Geneaological Register, volume 56, April 1902, page 155-156
Deacon George Bartlett is said to have been a brother of John Bartlett who lived in Windsor. He was at Guilford soon after the settlement of the plantation. His name appears as a witness in the first court record, August 14, 1645, and it would seem as if he had been there then a considerable time. At a Court, Oct. 9, 1945, he was appointed with three others, "to make and finish ye pound within ye time of 3 weeks under ye fine of 20 shillings." He seems to have been a man of education and consequences in the community, and was frequently a witness in the Courts.
At a General Court, on May 22, 1648, "Mr." Bartlett was given the "Freeman's Charge." In the book of "Terriers," his name is tenth with a homelot containing four and a half acres, allowed for four, at the South-west corner of the Green. He was chosen overseer of highways, on May 22, 1649, and on June 9, 1653, one of the townsmen. He succeeded Gov. William Leete as Secretary of the Plantation, on June 5, 1662, and at the same time became one of the Deputies to hold the Particular Courts. He was chosen on April 23, 1665, with John Fowler, as one of the representatives sent by Guilford to the General Assembly of Connecticut, by which colony the New Haven jurisdiction had just been absorbed. On July 6, 1665, he was appointed Lieutenant of the Train Band at Guilford. Prior to that date, but after 1660, he and John Fowler were made the first deacons of the Guilford Church.
On June 23, 1654, New Haven Jurisdiction raised a company numbering 133, commanded by Capt. Seeley, to cooperate with an army of 800 from all the United Colonies of New England, and George Bartlett was appointed to command the Guilford contingent of 17, with the rank of Sergeant. On June 9, 1651, he was elected Marshal of the Plantation, succeeding Thomas Jones. In 1665 he was appointed, with Robert Kitchel, as "commissioner" of Guilford, and "invested with magestratical power." In 1649, he and John Hoadley were appointed by the town of Guilford to build a cart bridge over East River, receiving 3 pounds in English commodities, the rest in "country pay or worke." A year previously he had been one of the three men appointed to build a fence to keep the young cattle from the "herd's walk." Deacon Bartlett was married, by Mr. Samuel Desborough (my 10th great grand-uncle), to Mary, daughter of Abraham Cruttenden (founder of Guilford and my 10th great-grandfather) , on Sept. 14, 1650. He died Aug. 2, 1669, and was buried the next day. His wife did not long survive, but died on Sept. 10, 1669.
NEHGS, volume 81, April 1927
Page 121: Early Probate Records of New Haven: Bartlett, George, of Guilford. Inventory, taken Feb. 9. 1669 by Wm. Stone, Sr., John Scranton, and Thomas Cook, Jr., (pound symbol)419: 12: 09.
(Father is not Robert Bartlett who married Mary Warren of Plymouth:Volume 1 Hide, blushing glory, hide Pultova's day. page 133
Bartlett, ROBERT, Plymouth, came in the Ann, July 1623, m. 1628, Mary, d. of Richard Warren, had Benjamin; Joseph, b. 1638; beside six ds.; Rebecca, m. 20 Dec. 1649 William Harlow; Mary, m. 10 Sept. 1651, Richard Foster, and next, 8 July 1659, Jonathan Morey; Sarah, m. 23 Dec. 1656, Samuel Rider of Yarmouth; Eliz. m. 20 Dec. 1661, Anthony Sprague, of Hingham; Lydia, b. 8 June 1647, m. James Barnaby, and next John Nelson, of Middleborough; and Merey, b. 10 Mar. 1651, m. 25 Dec. 1668, John Ivey of Boston. He was of the first purch. of Dartmouth, and d. 1676, aged 73; and his wid. m. 24 Oct. 1692, or 1699, Thomas Delano. Unhap. both yrs. are giv. in Winsor's Hist. )
Look up LDS for Thomas as possible father?