Note: "History of the Plantation of Menunkatuck", by Bernard Christian Steiner
Page 196: Madison Chapter: Bezaleel Bristol was one of the first settlers in the neighborhood called " the Quarter" (East Guilford)
Page 197: Madison Chapter: " The first permanent settlement was made about 1725. The first families were, in the south part,...Bezaleel Bristol...
Page 362: Chapter on the 5th Church & Society in Guilford, or the Church & Society of North Bristol, now the 2nd Church & Society in Madison or the Church & Society in North Madison: As early as December 19, 1727, the 1st Society voted to "dismiss" the Black Rock farmers from paying their proportion of the rate, a year later that privilege was extended for five years more, at the expiration of which time it was indefinately extended. It was a long distance and but seldom could the farmers get to church. In November, 1743, six (one of them Bezaleel Bristol) of these Black Rock farmers send a petition to the "Pastor & Church of the 1st Society." It reads as follows: "Reverend and Dearly Beloved. We the Subscribers (all of us under your watch & care), living at a great distance from the house for Public Worship, are desirous for 10 Sabbaths in the winter Season, in concurrence with a few neighbours of the East Society, to hire some Young man to preach to us in some of our houses (Zachariah Field's house used 3 times), if we can have liberty from our Pastor & Church & the Pastor & Church of the East Society; for we have no desire to be disorderly." ... This was granted November 20th, 1743.
Page 363: In May 1753, the Society in North Madison was incorporated and called North Bristol, after Bezaleel Bristol- an early and respectable settler. The present name (Madison) was given to it in 1830, since the incorporation of the town of Madison.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.